“The progress that our students have made in recent years is inspiring – there is no doubt that they are capable of achieving at high levels and leading Tennessee into a bright future. While education stakeholders are already working together in exciting ways in Tennessee, it is our responsibility to redouble our innovative efforts to ensure that we are supporting our students to truly excel and thrive. The future of our state depends on it.”
- Senator Bill Frist, Chairman and Founder, SCORE
Tennessee has been making significant progress in advancing a bold education reform plan over the last decade and is now a leader in the nation in dramatically improving student achievement. Tennessee is among the fastest improving states for student achievement according to the Nation’s Report Card.
While Tennessee has made significant gains, there is still much to do – in K-12 education, in college and career readiness, and in postsecondary completion. The State Collaborative on Reforming Education (SCORE) plays a critical role in advancing student achievement, aligning K-12 and postsecondary, and ensuring that all students can achieve career and life success. We work to monitor statewide progress in support of a prioritized agenda that drives collaboration on policy while generating proof points and providing targeted support for implementation across the state.
SCORE is an independent, nonprofit, and nonpartisan organization founded by former US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and is dedicated to the goal that that all students can achieve success in college, career, and life. SCORE supports student success in public schools across Tennessee by ensuring all schools and systems meet high expectations; preparing, recruiting, supporting, and retaining excellent teachers and leaders; and aligning K-12 and college with career and life success.
SCORE is based at Vanderbilt University’s John Seigenthaler Center. This role will primarily report to the office with some flexibility for remote work. Applicants should be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week. For more information on SCORE, please visit www.tnscore.org.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The SCORE graduate fellows program provides ambitious and dedicated graduate students an opportunity to immerse themselves in the education policy and advocacy landscape in Tennessee. Fellows will have the opportunity to become part of a dynamic organization that is deeply involved in the state’s education initiatives and is committed to ensuring success for all students. The graduate fellows program is overseen by SCORE’s Senior Director of Research and graduate fellows work collaboratively across the team on research, policy, strategic practice, and advocacy projects.
- Contribute research, data analysis, and policy recommendations for various SCORE products, including policy memos, research briefs, and topical reports.
- Transform highly technical research and data reports into actionable insights accessible to a general audience.
- Monitor and analyze key K-12 and postsecondary education issues affecting Tennessee and the nation.
- Conduct research to support SCORE’s strategic practice and advocacy activities.
- Contribute original work on education reform topics to the SCORE blog.
- Interact with state education leaders from government, business, philanthropy, school districts, and/or postsecondary institutions.
SCORE seeks a graduate student with a desire to improve education practice and policy in Tennessee. Candidate requirements include:
- Basic understanding of data analysis with Excel or other statistical software and a demonstrated desire to learn, or a strong track record conducting data analysis and visualization work.
- Experience synthesizing academic research or technical reports – a skill that will be further developed as part of the program.
- Ability to understand the interaction of policy, research, and practice to advance education opportunity and outcomes.
- Problem-solver with a commitment to working creatively to find solutions
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including telephone and videoconferencing skills
SCORE is committed to providing opportunities for professional growth by providing team members with feedback and opportunities to grow in their work.
SCORE offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At SCORE, we are committed to creating a workplace where all team members bring their whole selves to work and thrive both personally and professionally. We deeply value collaboration, optimism, excellence, and innovation in our student-centered work and in how we work together and support each other as a team. We also believe that it is important for our team to reflect the rich diversity of students in Tennessee, and we strive to intentionally create space for diverse viewpoints to meaningfully contribute to our work.
SCORE is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply by 5pm on Thursday, August 25, 2022.